16 August 2010

Hexagon Tote~Along Pouch

On my usual blog hopping morning, I stumbled upon Tommy of  The Material Girl. She has what I was looking for! A pouch to tote~along my English paper piecing projects.
  DSCN2344
Isn’t that a cutie?

Tommy has a tutorial to put it together. But here is how I made mine. 


DSCN2332  You will need 2 big circles and 2 small circles; one each main fabric and one each for the lining. (Ignore the two strips of fabric….didn’t use it after all) 
 buttonhole position
{Forgot to snap a photo of this step, so a graphic it is :) }
Using the graphic above as a guide,stitch two 0.5” buttonholes 1.5” from the edge of the main fabric of the big circle.

DSCN2334
Sew the cicles around the circumference,right sides together, with a 1/4 inch seam. Trim the seams..I used my new pinking shears from Ikea :)


DSCN2337
Make a slit in the center of the lining to turn the right side out. ( You should make the slit before sewing to avoid accidental cut into the main fabric ) Press.


DSCN2335
DSCN2336
On the smaller circle, fold into two and then into three. Press, You’ll get six segments.The folded lines# are the guide for stitching. These will be the pockets.

   DSCN2340
On the big circle, stitch two lines. One on each side of the buttonhole all around the circumference . You’ve just made the casing.

 DSCN2341
Place a circular piece of batting on the lining side of the big circle.The batting will be the base of the pouch. So cut the size you like.

DSCN2342
Place the small circle on top of the batting; making sure you have centered all the pieces. Stitch on the folded lines #. Using a hera marker, I marked the circumference of the batting and stitched on the marked line. I’ve just quilted the base !

DSCN2344
Thread a ribbon into the casing through the buttonhole and back out from the same buttonhole. Tie the ends and pull it into the casing to hide the knot. Repeat with another ribbon on the other buttonhole.
  DSCN2344Added two satin ‘ball’ buttons to the ribbon…love it ! draw a heart



DSCN2343
Six pockets to hold the paper hexies, the basted hexies, a spool of thread, thread cutter and fabric for the hexies! All organised and ready to~go !
{You have to click on the pic to get a better look! }



Happy Stitching !


image image image
image image image
image image image


I would love to see the ones you make. Please mail me your pixies so that I can share it here!



31 comments:

  1. Penny...that's cool...i want to try it...thank you for the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice job there girl...love it..hugs Khris

    ReplyDelete
  3. awww so cute..and genius! i gotta try this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My grandma's friend made a similar pouch for me years ago to hold my jewelry. How fun to see another version. It makes a great project holder, too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I definitely need to make one of these, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's lovely - pretty and useful.... thanks for the tuturiol too... Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  7. Penny - That's adorable! Thanks for showing how you put it together, as I wondered how it was done. I think I need to make some of these to put in my GiftCloset for last-minute/unexpected gift giving. Stopping over from Sew&Tell. Thanks for sharing. Happy Sewing! :o)

    www.seamsinspired.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Perfect for handwork--nice finish.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cool,thanks for the show-how. I must try it out.Thanks for linking to lush friday.Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! I love that little bag! Sew cute! I am stopping by from Sew and Tell! Maybe if you have a chance you can take a peek at my blog!
    carla
    www.ohsewaddicted.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your hexagon tote pouch is gorgeous. Thanks for the tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey I finally put a link to this on the freebies blog..hugs Khris

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is so good, just what I've been looking for! Thanks Penny.

    ReplyDelete
  14. PERFECT! I can't wait to try it out! Thanks so much for taking the time to create such a great tutorial. ~karen

    ReplyDelete
  15. The pouch is beautful, great tutorial,thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh my goodness this is darling! Thanks for the tutorial. Would you please come link this project (and any future projects you do ) to your tuesday fabric linky party? we are at quiltstory.blogspot.com hope to see you. So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  17. soon I am gonna make one
    I love it !

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hello, so creative and what a practical organizer for little objects.. its really fun to make and easy to menage your little items, I am gone make one soon..And one more thing, I want to link up your this post to my blog if you permit me, than how can I ?
    you can contact me there on
    http://craftaworld.blogspot.com/
    And pay a visit to my blog too ..Love

    ReplyDelete
  19. Loved your blog and your work.
    Congratulations

    Margaret

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is so cool! I want to make one :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Muchas gracias por el tutorial, ya hice un costurerito para mis hexágonos y además tambien hice las fotos del paso a paso asi más amigas pueden hacerlo, si quieres puedes pasar por mi blog pasra ver cvomo quedó
    gracias again hasta pronto !!!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Penny
    How are you, I love your this project very much so I featured it at my blog at

    http://craftaworld.blogspot.com/p/inspiring-projects.html

    Hope you pay a visit there,and grab my featured button, thanks a lot and love to you

    ReplyDelete
  23. Can't wait to make one of these and eliminate my ziploc baggies!! ~karen

    ReplyDelete
  24. maravilloso tutorial

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi Penny,

    Just stopped by to thank you for this and to let you know that I made one yesterday if you would like to see it. You can find it over at my blog :

    www.coffeebeansdailies.blogspot.com

    Thanks again! Alia

    ReplyDelete
  26. hi...this is a great tutorial and a very beautiful jewelery holder pouch and i made two of these but i changed the colors and i didnt use satin ribbon jus made a string with the main cloth...i will mail the pictures of mines

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hi! By any chance are you selling these? I know that's not the point of this blog but this is adorable and I am not this crafty. It's a perfect gift for my mom - she travels a lot and always has this mess of jewelry in a bag.

    Let me know!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Love this. Have made few for gifts.

    ReplyDelete