03 October 2010

Penny’s Hobo Bag



Last week, on my morning blog hopping ritual, I stumbled upon….

image yes_text5  !!!………  a good excuse to make another bag!!!


If you have been folowing my blog, I’ve been showing some sneak peeks here , here and here.

Vicki and Cyndi….you guessed right!



DSCN2422
The hobo bag is a style of handbag or purse that is typically large and characterized by a crescent shape, a slouchy posture and a long strap designed to wear over the shoulder. Hobo bags are made out of soft, flexible materials and tend to slump, or slouch, when set down.~ Wikipedia


That's my inspiration when I set out to make this bag. It's made from curtain fabric without batting or interfacing. I stitched two small darts at the bottom of each side of the bag. I find that two small darts gives it a ‘smoother’ curve at the bag bottom :)
The bag is 16" at the widest point , 15” high up to the beads,  with an 18" shoulder strap.


image DSCN2421

I used my Brown Hobo With O-rings  bag pattern which I drafted using Wikipedia’s description! ~ crescent shape, a slouchy posture and a long strap.


DSCN2419 DSCN2424

To attach the shoulder straps, instead of O-rings, I made thin bias straps and thread them through wooden macrame beads.

DSCN2425    When I saw this buckle at the local haberdashery, I knew it would be perfect for a bag! I made a simple flap to attach the buckle.



DSCN2423 DSCN2413

I used a print  fabric as bag lining .  It is very roomy with four large pockets. I made the pockets using Christie's 'Lunch Money Cuff' Tutorial. I did not use a zipper. Instead, I let the pocket lining show a little to give it the bias piping effect. I added a magnetic button for closure.

If you are a bagaholic, there’s still time to submit your bags. Any bags made after July 1st will be accepted.  I had to make a new one because the last bag I made was in March!
Am linking to Linky Parties to spread the word :)
[ See Link Parties tab below blog title]

All entries will be shortlisted  by a panel of judges before the final voting by readers.

Have a look at other beautiful creations at the Purse Week Flickr Group.
My Hobo Bag is here.

Wish me luck and may the best purse, bag, or
clutch win!!!
Thanks Christie


I made it to the top 10! Read about it and cast your vote for your favorite bag!



               Thanks Heather and Megan!

38 comments:

  1. I KNEW it, Penny! Oh my gosh, that bag is AWESOME! You definitely should win...I would vote for you if voting was allowed. And I sure didn't know about that contest...not that I'd have time to make anything right now. I have made a lot of bags since July but none of them are "special"! I really love your bag and will be rooting for you to win!

    XOXO,

    Cyndi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhhh such a wonderful creation!!!! Of course you will win! Good luck to you!
    Hugs from Finland

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your bag is beautiful. I'm also a bagaholic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a wonderful bag - all the best and let us know how it goes!! I love the extra touch of adding the handles on with the bias and beads.... really finishes it off beautifully - well done
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome bag...it was fun following along with you trying to figure out what you were creating. Good luck....looks like a winner to me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good luck with the contest! Your bag is incredible - so perfect! I could do with a bag like that but I don't fancy my chances of making one!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fantastic looking bag Penny....did you need my address to send it? lol
    Hugs Khris

    ReplyDelete
  8. How gorgeous! It looks as good inside as it does on the outside. Happy Fabric Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Wow!!! It is way better than I was thinking it would be. I knew it would be fantastic but this is even more than fantastic Penny. Its really gorgeous :) I love it!! You clever thing :)Hugs Vicki xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is one awesome bag. It looks like you bought it a macys.
    Thank you for sharing. Good luck
    http://www.couturiermommy.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this bag! It is just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! This bag is fabulous!!

    Jennifer :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. You should definitely win...good luck! Love the color, that purse would work for any occasion! Thanks so much for linking up, see you next week!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your bag is fabulous!! love the pockets and all of the details, really wonderful! Theresa xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  15. I really like this bag-it is adorable!!!!:)


    http://happyhomemakerandmomma.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  16. Newest follower as well;)



    http://happyhomemakerandmomma.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  17. In awe of your designing, creating and sewing skills!

    All on your own is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful bag, I just love the details!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a fabulous bag!! I think you have a winner!

    ReplyDelete
  20. This bag is so beautiful! You should so win!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Visiting from Sew Much Ado, but I also sawyour post in the purse party Flikr pool. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a beautiful bag! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  23. it's beautiful! I hope you win. It looks like you put a lot of effort into it and the details are great!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wonderful bag with great fabrics! The pockets are perfect. You put a lot of work into this!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Such a great bag. I love all the pockets and the details are so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wow, yours is my favorite Sew and Tell for the week! I love your bag design. I'm jealous because I would like to sew one myself, but it sounds like you did yours from scratch. I also love how you threaded the beads, it looks so unique. Amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. This is a great bag! And what a great idea to add all those pockets! All my hobo bags need something like that!
    Great job and good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  28. That bag just rocks! I love the pattern, the color and the added details.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Wow what a great bag. Love all the extra details you've put on it to make it really stand out from the crowd. Good luck with the contest!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Very nice!! & Good luck for your win ;)

    ReplyDelete
  31. I made it to the top 10! Go to :
    http://alemonsqueezyhome.blogspot.com/2010/10/top-10-purse-entries-get-your-votes-in.html

    to vote your favourite bag!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Love your bag :) I love all the details you put on the bag.

    ReplyDelete