09 June 2011

Bowl Covers for Leftovers

 

I’m used to cooking for four. So after my son left home for Clayton to continue his studies, I continued cooking for four! That means only one thing…leftovers!

 

 

IMG_0434

In my continuing effort to save Mother Earth from shrink wraps, I made this. I got the inspiration from here. Thanks Lindsay. But I tweaked the pattern a little. I did not  bind the edge the usual way.

 

IMG_0460

Instead, I fold the bias tape into half and stitch it along the circumference of the fabric circle. Half way thru the circle, I leave a one inch gap for threading the elastic.

 

IMG_0466

Using a bodkin , I inserted the elastic through the casing.

 

IMG_0467

Join the two ends of the elastic by machine. Stitch close the opening and using a zig-zag stitch, I stitched around the edges to prevent fraying.

 

IMG_0433

It looks exactly like a shower cap!

IMG_0430

The best part is, it is washable and reusable!

8 comments:

  1. What a great idea! And so much prettier in the fridge than an old piece of plastic. :o) Thanks for sharing! Happy Thursday! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is totally cool! I love the idea of using a pretty bowl cover instead of plastic wrap...I hate that stuff! I'm definitely going to have to make a couple of those! Thanks for the inspiration, Penny!

    XOXO,

    Cyndi

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea! So much prettier than plastic wrap!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very good idea and such an improvement on what you can buy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is soooooo clever!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. so smart...and what a practical approach it is ... I must go for two or three for my table... thanks for the idea and tute as wel
    wish you pay a visit to me at
    http://craftaworld.blogspot.com/
    love
    Farah

    ReplyDelete
  7. visiting you after very long time. thank you so much for sharing this lovely idea

    ReplyDelete
  8. Much nicer than the plain plastic ones. I like this idea very much Penny :) Looks great :) Hugs Vicki x

    ReplyDelete