03 September 2009

No Bias Binding Hexagon Coaster

Remember my hexagon coasters? I fail to mention that it doesn't require any bias binding though it looks like the edges are. I stumbled upon a Youtube video on how to make a hexagon coaster.

I used the method to make my version. Here's how I did it. ( Yay ! It's my first tutorial!) I'ld rather use lots of pics to do the explanation for me :~D




Firstly, cut one 8" hexagon( this will be the back piece/edge trimming) , three 6" hexagons (I used old t-shirt for a padded feel) and 1.5" strips of scraps.


Next, stack the three pieces of 6" hexagons together. Place a square piece of embroidery or any fabric of choice at the center.



Then, place the strips like so and stitch .
Open it out and stitch close to the outer edge.
Repeat all sides.


Place the small hexagon on the big one.Fold the big hexagon side edge in half.
Fold again and pin.
Continue on the next edge. Pin the corners down.Repeat all sides.


Stitch all round close to the edge.


Here it is! The front and back. No more fidgeting with bias binding *-*


A big placemat to hide some burnt marks on the table!


Have a nice time making your hexagon coasters!


p.s. If you find some pics too small to see the details, click on the image to enlarge.
Update:
Friday, July 9, 2010image

11 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for putting these details on line. I love the idea of the hexagons. May even make some coasters!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just saw this on the Totally Tutorials blog, and love it! I'm going to have to try it soon.
    Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi!!
    Greetings from Venezuela. Thanks for this tutorial. It was perfectly explained. I'll do it. Kisses

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really lovely!, I can't wait to try it! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a nice tute! I'm gonna tweet this one.

    Thanks!

    :) Linda

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is how I finish all my quilts! It's my favorite fake-out happy ending. I can't stand bias trim or hand sewing on the back!

    I like your hexagon shapes. I haven't done any of those yet!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great tute!
    I found you from your comment on Vicki's blog "tozz's corner".
    I have a fascination with hexies but haven't had a chance to make any yet! Hopefully that will change soon!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Penny, do you have this tutorial in pdf form?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love it! a junior quilter from Brasil.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the tutorial, hate bias and binding so looking forward to trying this method.

    Heather
    http://nightdreamer371.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete