01 June 2012

How-To: Star Window a.k.a. Moe Moe's Star


I thought it is called Star Window. But, while asking Mr Goggle further, I found another name for it ; Moe Moe's Star. And I also found the template 😊


Edited: I have had a few request for the template, which I just realised that it isn't showing up at the link above. 




So, this is the template I used. Hope it works. Resize it to your heart's content!  Happy stitching!



While the instructions that Kathy gave me is complete, have my own idea on how-to! 


Trace the petal shape on the wrong side of the main fabric. Then, layer the main fabric and lining fabric right sides together. 


I love to handstitch, so, I did small running stitches. Trim close to the stitchline and snip at the notches. 


Cut a little opening on the lining fabric only. Then turn the main fabric out through the opening. 


Gently push out the seams and top stitch the edge with running stitch. 


Center the hexagon feature fabric and turn the petals inwards like so. Pin in place. 


Use blind stitch to hold the petals down. 


I cut out a curvy hexagon on the hexagon template to use it as a tracing template to draw the quilting line. The Pilot Frixion pen is simply awesome. The ink just disappears at the touch of the hot iron!


This is the back side of the block, all quilted .  Oh yes, this is a quilt-as you-go block. Just make as many blocks as you need. Then piece them together using ladder stitch.


Enjoy!





22 comments:

  1. What a great tutorial, thank you :-)
    Have a nice day
    Diana

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you!
    A great quilt to make during the summer,...
    :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Penny after such a long long time.... good and bit different ... tutorial is great and very understandable...
    http://craftaworld.blogspot.com/
    With love
    Farah

    ReplyDelete
  4. Could this block be made without the hexagon in the middle? Just use two different fabrics, and make the slit on the "petal" part.

    Is the only purpose of the inner hex to cover where you cut the fabric?

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great idea... same petals/different centers; different petals/same centers.
      God bless,
      Christine

      Delete
  5. Aha, I found it! Fantastic, thanks so much for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  6. love your hexie caddy, I made one too...thanks for the great instructions.

    http://art-and-sole.blogspot.co.uk/2012/06/sewing-day.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love finding new folded patchwork tips and tricks, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for a great tutorial. I'm a brand new follower and look forward to going through your other tutorials.
    Chumkie.
    My Favourite Things.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Penny, a very interessant tutoriel

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am soooooo in love with this pattern but can't bring up the template. Can you please help me? I can't wait to start it! Thanks for sharing.

    Vicki
    sunraesban@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for a great tute. I just saw some blocks made; she called it Japanese Flower Garden. I'm going to try your version as soon as I can. Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  12. Bonjour,
    Merci pour ce DIY, mais je ne trouve pas le template pour faire cette jolie chose. Comment puis-je l'avoir ? Merci pour votre réponse.

    Hello,
    Thank you for this DIY, but I can not find the template for this pretty thing. How can I have it? Thank you for your reply. (Excuse my bad english)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello,
    Thank you for your tutorial. It's very pretty. I would really like to make it but I can not find the pattern. Can you please help me ?
    Hi from Burgundy, region of France
    Merci à l'avance.
    atelierpapillon@yahoo.fr

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you very much for the template. I will use the old white grandmother bed linen.
    Merci beaucoup.

    ReplyDelete
  15. very fun. Thank you I might have to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Penny how are the blocks connected to one another?
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  17. I dont see the cut you made, where did it go? im lost

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you for this tutorial! LOVE the results.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank you for sharing this wonderful pattern!!!

    ReplyDelete